My Personal Vampire


 My Personal Vampire 

I liked sitting on the first seats, no one could talk to you if you did and he seemed to like the seat next to me, he entered a second before our professor and sat next to me, like he owned the seat. I turned to him to shoo him off, but the professor entered right after him. You won’t believe it but it took me by surprise. There was only a second difference between their coming into the classroom. It was like things had been perfectly timed.


Our professor started in a haste and ended the same way. We had to go to fetch some documents for our Cases project, so he led the way and I followed. “Why’d you sit next to me?” I asked while we walked down the hallways. “Just because you’re the only one I know.” He answered and abruptly stopped. “Here, we can get the documents from here.” He said and went into a dark, poorly lit room. There were thousands of boxes on the shelves. Every box looked fresh, not a speck of dust, of course, the students here were diligent, trying their best to ace everything and Cases was a very important project. Many students had solved cases and won awards for settling neglected cases. 


Once two students, two girls to be more exact had settled a case of murder which had then gotten connected to another drug dealing case. The girls were twins and very excellent detectives on a task force, I wanted to join. Their names were Laura and Lauren; match made in heaven, those two.


“We’ve got Case 67 #A and 92 #C.” A and C were meant to depict difficulty levels, A being fairly easy and C being hard. I stood on a stool meant to help us fetch boxes that were high up, I didn’t like heights at all and being raised more than six inches was enough for me to freak but I didn’t wanna be a chicken, I stepped on the stool which was about 5 foot. It looked like bad news and I should’ve been careful but the box attracted me so much that as was destined I stumbled and fell. You guessed right, he caught me. Hundred points for that obvious guess. 


His arms wrapped tightly around me, my eyes were closed and I was expecting hell to devour me whole but he’d saved me. I didn’t like that— him saving me. I didn’t open my eyes until I was sure that I was fine and when I did, I saw him looking amused at my little mistake. “Are you okay?”, he asked in his voice, annoying question as always. “Of course, thanks to you.” I said, though I’m not sure my tone held gratitude, it was overflowing with annoyance. I’d rather have hit my head than be touched by him. 


He put me down slowly, like I was a fragile flower making me doubt his behaviour for one second, for one second, I’d forgotten what he’d done. Afraid of this, I told him that I needed to go use the restroom. “I’ll see you later.” I’d uttered and hurried out the door before I heard him say anything. 


When I was in the restroom, I felt disgusted by myself for a second; what the hell was that? I looked in the mirror and squinted my eyes at my reflection. “Get it together.” I commanded as if I were talking to someone else; then I splashed water on my face and had a busy day ahead. 


I was dead beat when I was leaving but we still had cases to look over and it was high time the vampire got to sit in my living room. He must’ve gotten bored of my bedroom walls. When I was walking up to my car, he happily came to me, running like a child towards candy, “perfect!” I thought, “he’s excited.” “Let’s leave together.” He said and got into my car before I’d even responded. “You’re abnormally excited to do a project, I hope you know that.” I pointed out as I got onto the driver's seat and buckled myself in.
I was having morbid thoughts, should I drive the car into a pole or something or literally ram into a wall? Will that be enough to kill us both? 


Resuming the facade, I further pointed out that I needed to buy a couple of things before I went home. “A, I’m not excited to do the project, just excited about whom I’m doing it with and B, sure, I’ll accompany you.” He must’ve thought I was going to a flower’s shop or something, the expression on his face was almost laughable when I pulled up at a shady place which sold poisons… all kinds of venoms of different animals; “I’m gonna get what I need.” I said, proud of how baffled he seemed. “Sure take your time.” He hissed. 


When I got back, he was sleeping. Was that even possible, I’d read all of the Twilight series and I’m not sure I ever read that  Edward Cullen had dozed off on the couch. He was… beautiful, to the point where I couldn’t breathe. I’d gotten the venomous samples of a male vampire bat, how weirded out would he be? I wanted to see his reaction but all I could hear was his light breathing. I didn’t wake him, I drove quietly putting on BTS’ music and listening through my AirPods; for some odd, inexplicable reason, I didn’t wanna disturb him… what was that even about? 


I pulled up at my house quite early and waited until he opened his eyes; he seemed dead beat too. “Can we go now?” I asked with a mocking tone, though my eyes must’ve had a soft look, because he thanked me. “Thanks for not waking me, I was very tired.” His voice was so enchanting, it almost got me engrossed but I shook my head and got off the car. We walked to the front of my house and I went in, for some strange reason, he stood at the door, gawking at me. I’d watched Vampire Diaries too and all I wanted to do was to say, get lost but I automatically asked, “Why are you just standing there?” “Why don’t you lock your front door?” He asked, his voice solemn, trembling a little and I sensed anger in his voice. “Because no matter what I do, a vampire still enters my home without knocking, there’s no point.” I acquiesced. “Still, you should be careful!” He ordered and I waved my hands gesturing surrender, “Okay, I’ll lock it from now on.” I didn’t have any time to waste. I needed to observe him as much as possible; his habits, how human was he? How much of a vamp? 


I switched on the lights and he exclaimed, “Beautiful pictures.”, almost immediately. They were pictures of me, I was trying to be narcissistic and I was pretty good at that. 
“Thanks? Want something?” I asked as I laid down the poisonous samples on the table. “ What’s for dinner?” He asked and I looked at him, “Right now? Dinner? It’s about seven o’ clock.” “When do you eat?” He asked, I  couldn’t answer the question. “When do I eat?” I said out loud, “Sometimes at 1:00 am.” I finished and I realised that no one had ever asked me my meal time before, thus the answer. 


“I’ll cook for you.” He said and went to open the fridge door. “Wow, you’re really a leche lover.” He said. “Milk lover?” I asked, “Because my fridge has nothing but milk. Nope, wrong judgement.” I muttered. “It’s just that I don’t eat a lot and cooking’s a hassle.” “Here, I bought some groceries for myself, I’ll put them in.” “Groceries?” I asked and was about to say a lot more but out of nowhere he plunged a huge ass bag on the table. “From the nearest grocery, you can get your berries.” The bag read. Stupid as hell, of course. 


He stuffed my fridge and said, “Sit, I’ll fix us something quickly and then we can work.” I grabbed a water bottle and almost immediately got lost in a music video. He sat down next to me in a moment. “Here, since you don’t eat dinner normally and looking at all the milk and the cereal, you probably don’t eat a lot of vegetables either. Enjoy.” He said as he placed a salad in front of me. It looked delicious, “How are you so fast?” I asked, though I knew the answer. “Practice.” He said. Then he took a fork and started sharing the said salad with me. Now think about this before you judge me, which I’m sure by now you must’ve done. I hate this guy, sitting beside me, I don’t eat dinner or whatever the hell people eat at night, I hadn’t eaten with a person, at my home, in twenty some years, and here he was, cooking for me and eating with me, like he was my family. I shuddered at the very thought but of course, “Thank you.” I said with disdain as I started eating because no matter what I think I was hungry. 


We opened Case 92 #C first and started looking at it together. The case was about a murder done by a weird person. Left no traces, drained the victims blood, no fangs marks, I double checked the reports for that one, and what was the weirdest was that this person had barely touched the victim. No signs of struggle.
“Looking at the basic facts, it’s obviously someone that the victim trusted.” I said after one go at everything and added, “I’m certain it was her boyfriend at the time.” “Wow, you’re really fast.” He said, “I’m not sure how. Her boyfriend was away at the Sorelli’s Art exhibition. There’s camera proof.” “I know which is why we need to go sneaking around a little.” I said and smiled. 


The reason why I thought it was her boyfriend was because the victim didn’t live with her family. She was from a small town and I’ll just call her “Viena”, I’m not allowed to release case details like name of the victim or identity of the culprit, if I’d ever found one, which we did. Also, the victim was an introvert, usually avoiding gatherings, and hanging out with only a couple of friends through her boyfriend and siblings. The case file had the boy’s number and so I called him. He didn’t pick up. “Fun.” I muttered under my breath,

Author's bits: Hey peeps, how's your day, morning, night, whatever going so far? If this chapter made it better why don't you read more on my blog. I hope I light up your day.
L. 

Comments

Popular Posts